15 Sep ’76 Recipes: Vegan Autumn Soups
Posted at 07:27h
Welcome back to ’76 Recipes, where we share the recipes for some of your favourite ’76 Sips menu items, featuring produce from Jo Anne’s Place! While our ’76 Sips Cafés have closed their doors, we still want you to continue enjoying the food they offered – at home!
With the first day of Fall quickly approaching, we thought it would be a good time to share a few of our delicious soup recipes. Our Red Pepper Tomato Soup, Butternut Squash Soup, and Potato Soup are perfect for those upcoming chilly Autumn days.
Red Pepper Tomato Soup (Vegan)
Ingredients: (Makes 16 Servings)
– 6 large red bell peppers (left whole)
– 3 28-ounce cans of crushed or peeled tomatoes (in juice)
– 3 6-ounce cans of tomato paste
– 3 cups of water
– 1 box of coconut milk
– 4.5 tbsp of dried dill
– 3 tbsp of garlic powder
– 3 tsp of dried basil
– 1.5 tsp of sea salt and black pepper (each)
– 9 tbsp of coconut sugar
1. Roast red peppers in a 500° F (260 C) oven until tender and charred on all sides – about 10-15 minutes in the oven, or 5 minutes over an open flame. Then wrap in foil to steam for a few minutes.
2. In the meantime, add the remaining ingredients to a large pot and bring to a simmer. When peppers are cool to the touch, remove charred outer skin, seeds, and stems. Add to soup mixture.
3. Transfer to a blender and blend well. Then transfer back to a saucepan or pot and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
4. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more coconut sugar or stevia to sweeten, red pepper flakes for heat, basil or dill for earthiness, garlic powder for overall flavour, or salt for saltiness.
5. Let simmer on low for at least 10 more minutes. The longer it simmers, the deeper the flavour. Enjoy!
Potato Soup (Vegan)
Ingredients: (Makes 8 Servings)
– 12 medium potatoes
– 4 small onions
– 4 cups of vegetable broth
– 1 tsp of rosemary
– 1/2 tsp of pepper
– 2 tsp of salt
– 4 tbsp of cashews
– 4 tbsp of nutritional yeast
– 6 cups of milk alternative (ex. Rice Milk)
1. Chop the onions and sauté until soft in the soup pot.
2. Soak cashews in hot water for about 20 min, drain and add to blender.
3. Cut the potatoes into cubes and add them to the pan along with the broth, rosemary, pepper, and salt.
4. Simmer covered for about 15 minutes. Blend a few times so it is creamy and a little chunky. Cook until hot over low heat.
5. Top with some fresh sprouts or microgreens and enjoy!
Butternut Squash Soup (Vegan)
Ingredients: (Makes 6 Servings)
– 2 butternut squashes
– 2 tbsp of olive oil
– 1 cup of shallots (about 2 shallots)
– 2 tsp of salt
– 8 garlic cloves
– 2 tsp of maple syrup
– A pinch of black pepper
– 6-8 cups of vegetable broth
– 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 425 F. Halve the squash, coat it with oil, salt, and pepper, and cook face down on a baking sheet for about 40 min.
2. In a soup pot, add a drizzle of olive oil and chopped shallots. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, stirring frequently. Transfer the contents to the blender.
3. Use a large spoon to scoop the butternut squash flesh into your blender. Discard the tough skin. Add the maple syrup, nutmeg, and a few twists of freshly ground black pepper to the blender. Pour in 3 cups vegetable broth, being careful not to fill the container past the maximum fill line.
4. Blend until soup looks creamy, leave to simmer until hot. Top with some cinnamon or nutmeg and enjoy!
These soups freeze well, making these recipes great for meal prep. Find Certified Organic ingredients at Jo Anne’s Place in Peterborough & Lindsay – View our hours here!