07 Apr Vegan Easter Cupcakes
Whether you are vegan or do not want to use up all the eggs & butter in your fridge, this Easter dessert is perfect for you! These cupcakes can be easily made with what you already have on hand.
- 1 cup oat or nut milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup avocado or olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 scant cup organic cane sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, or whatever flour you have in the cupboard (for gluten free, we love Bob’s red mill all-purpose gluten free flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup softened vegan butter OR 1 can of coconut cream or milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 splash nut or oat milk
- 1 packet of natural food colouring
- Preheat oven to 350F, lining muffin holder with 12 paper liners
- Add non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar to a mixing bowl and let set a few minutes. Then add oil and vanilla and whisk to combine. Then add sugar and whisk to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and use a whisk to blend until well incorporated. The texture should be like that of pancake batter.
- Pour batter into the paper liners. Bake on a center rack for 20-24 minutes, or until a fork inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely on a cooling rack while preparing frosting…
- If using coconut cream, chill the can of coconut cream (or coconut milk) in the refrigerator overnight to encourage separation of the cream and liquid. Scoop out the coconut cream or milk from the can, leaving the liquid behind.
- If using vegan butter, leave out on the counter till softened.
- Beat coconut cream or vegan butter until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar and continue mixing until thick and creamy. Start with 1/3 cup of sugar, and keep testing it until it’s as sweet as you like it. You’d be surprised at how little sugar you might actually want in your icing!
- FInally, add vanilla and 1 packet of natural colouring. We used yellow colouring from the Color Garden. If you don’t have it at home, use turmeric instead (fresh or powder)
- Once cooled, frost cupcakes. If you don’t have a pipe, spread with a spoon and top with something fun like coconut shreds, cacao nibs or granulated sugar. Serve immediately.