18 Sep 7 Sweet & Savoury Fillings For Gourmet Grilled Cheese
Posted at 16:36h in Recipe
These unique gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches can be enjoyed as lunch, a snack, or a late-night bite.
Prep Time 5 Minutes/4 Servings
- 1 ½ cups cheese – I used Cheddar and Swiss cheese (both dairy and non-dairy)
- 8 slices bread – I used ‘Food for Life’ Sprouted Ezekiel 4:9/’Silver Hills’ Ancient Grains Big Red’s & GF ‘Glutino’ Cheese/’Thornbury’ Chia Breads
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, or non-dairy spread at room temperature
- Apples, sliced + Cinnamon + Cheese
- World of Chia Chia Wild Berries Fruit Spread + Cheese
- Saurkraut + Crunchy Dijon and/or Chipotle Mayo + Cheese
- Tomatoes, sliced + Oregano, dry + Cheese
- Carmelized Onions + Cheese
- Bread & butter pickles (or your favourite), sliced + Cheese
- 1/4 large red onion, sliced + 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced + 1/2 small zucchini, sliced into thin ribbons + Dash of chili powder + salt and pepper, to taste
- Divide half of cheese among 4 slices of bread. Top with your choice of fillings. Close sandwiches and spread half of butter evenly over top of bread slices.
- Heat a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-low heat. Place sandwiches, buttered side down, in skillet. Spread remaining butter over top of bread. Cook, pressing down with a spatula to encourage melting and turning once, until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown and crisp, 5–7 minutes.
- Cut into gooey slices and enjoy!
Recipe by Jackie DeKnock of Gourmet Safari