05 Dec 3 Holiday Dips
From vegan to gluten-free, these colourful dips will not only cater to those with special diet restrictions, but inspire everyone’s palate!
Vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Dip
Makes 2 1/2 cups
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled
- 3 garlic cloves, skin on
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or 3 sprigs fresh thyme)
- 1 tablespoon + 3 tablespoons MCT coconut oil, divided
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- Juice of 1 ½ lemons
- ¼ cup tahini
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop the seeds out of the butternut squash and dice into 1-inch pieces. Place diced squash and garlic cloves on baking sheet. Drizzle the squash mixture with 1 tablespoon of the MCT oil and sprinkle with thyme. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Roast until squash is tender, about 35-40 minutes. Allow squash and garlic to cool.
- Squeeze roasted garlic out of skins into food processor (or blender). Place roasted butternut squash into food processor, along with the remaining 3 tablespoons of MCT oil, chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, salt and pepper.
- Run the food processor on high until you have a smooth and rich dip. Scrape the sides down a couple times and add water if the dip is too thick. Taste and adjust the dip for seasoning. Place dip into a serving bowl and garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Creamy Vegan Cashew Cheese & Beet Dip
Makes 1 ½ cups
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and rinsed
- 2 small-medium beets scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon light miso
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Sea salt and black ground black pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2-4 tablespoons water
- Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Tightly wrap beets in foil and roast the until tender, about 40 minutes. Allow beets to cool, rub or peel skin off and dice.
- In food processor (or high-powered blender), combine the diced beets, the rinsed and drained cashews, miso, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Blend on high, if the contents are not blending into a whipped cream cheese-like consistency, add water, one tablespoon at a time.
- Once you have a smooth consistency, transfer the cashew cheese spread to a container, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Garnish the cheese dip with chopped parsley and capers.
Gluten Free & Vegetarian Black Bean Cheddar Dip
2 large tins cooked black beans
Pinch chipotle powder (or substitute chili powder), to taste
1 ½ cup salsa (medium or mild)
¾ cup sour cream
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Corn tortilla chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Drain and mash black beans by hand or in food processor (or blender) set aside ¼ cup whole black beans for garnish.
- Add pinch of chipotle or chilli powder (you can add more for extra flavour). Add salsa, sour cream and ¾ cup of the grated cheese. Blend well.
- Pour mixture into medium sized baking dish. Cover with remaining cheese, top with whole black beans and bake for about 30 minutes or until bubbly. Serve warm with corn tortilla chips.
Recipe by Jackie DeKnock, Owner of Gourmet Safari