25 Oct Dry-Rub Tempeh
Posted at 15:29h in Recipe
One of our managers, Jane Marie, loves this recipe & makes it all the time with her family.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup wheat-free tamari
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 package (8-ounce) tempeh
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Combine 1 cup water, tamari, vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon each of the garlic powder and onion powder in a pot large enough to hold the tempeh in a single layer. Bring to a boil. Poke the tempeh with a fork on both sides so that the surface has small holes, about 1 inch apart. Add to the pot, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes to allow the flavors of the sauce to cook into the tempeh.
- Stir together the paprika, rosemary, cumin, salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon each garlic and onion powders in a small bowl.
- Remove the tempeh from the marinating liquid and rub the spice mixture on both sides.
- Grill or broil until the spices are toasted and the tempeh is warm, about 4 minutes on each side. Slice into inch-wide pieces to add to a wrap, or chop into cubes to add to a salad.
Recipe inspired by Runner’s World with a few edits