01 Oct Crisp French Green Beans & Shallots
Posted at 16:04h in Recipe
Cook time: 20 min / Prep time: 20 min
1 1/2 pounds haricots verts (green beans – always impressive to say in French, stem ends trimmed only – not both ends)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
GARNISH – CRISP SHALLOTS
- Grape seed oil, for frying (or use another oil with a high smoke point if possible)
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- Dusting of flour
- Whisk shallot, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil.
- Cook haricots verts, uncovered, in a large pot of salted boiling water until crisp-tender; 4 to 6 minutes. Drain, refresh under cold water and pat dry.
- Dredge shallots in flour to lightly coat. Add grape seed oil to a skillet and heat to a medium-high temperature. Add shallots and fry until crisp and slightly brown. Remove to a paper towel to absorb oil.
- Add green beans to the skillet, followed by a light coating of the dressing* and heat slightly. Sprinkle with crisp fried shallots and serve.
Recipe by Jackie DeKnock of Gourmet Safari