04 Sep Back-to-School Quesadillas
These quesadillas make great back-to-school lunches or a quick-n’-easy breakfast or supper. Serve with your favorite salsa, sour cream and guacamole.
6 servings/Prep Time 30 minutes
- 6 (9 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese or a non-dairy alternative
4 Tortilla Topping Combinations:
- Cheese/Spring Onions, finely chopped
- Cheese/Salsa/Black Beans
- Cheese/Roasted Red Peppers/Spinach, coarsely chopped
- Cheese/Tomato/Cilantro, coarsely chopped
Sides: salsa, sour cream, guacamo
- Coat a large skillet frying pan with olive oil, heat gently and place one tortilla into the pan. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese evenly over the tortilla, layer with ½ a cup each of your favourite topping(s) over the cheese.
- Cook until golden on bottom, turn over and cook for approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove quesadilla from pan, and repeat with remaining ingredients. Cut each quesadilla into 8 triangles with a pizza cutter. Serve hot with the side of your choice.
- Can be prepared the night before and refrigerated for lunch the next day, enjoyed cold or warmed up as per your child’s preference at school.
DESSERT Quesadilla…Cheddar Apple Cinnamon
A simple, delicious dessert quesadilla that your kids will love!
4 servings/Prep Time 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 tsp butter or ‘non-butter’ alternative, divided
- 2 (12 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated or thinly sliced
- 1 sweet-tart apple, such as Fuji or Gala, thinly sliced
- ½ tbsp coconut palm sugar or 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Melt 3/4 teaspoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat, evenly spreading the butter.
- Place 1 tortilla in the melted butter. Cover tortilla with cheese and apple slices; sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Place the remaining tortilla over the filling.
- Cook quesadilla until bottom tortilla is browned and cheese melted, 3 to 5 minutes. Carefully flip quesadilla and cook until bottom tortilla is browned and cheese is melted.
- Slice quesadilla into quarters. Serve warm.
Recipe by Jackie DeKnock of Gourmet Safari