28 Jan Mulligatawny Soup
The name Mulligatawny comes from 2 oriental Indian words meaning ‘pepper water’ as it has a delicious zing to it!
Serves 8-10 (you can freeze it or divide the recipe)Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery (or substitute with bok choy)d, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- I clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon curry powder (add more if you like curry)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala (Indian spice blend)
- ½ teaspoon tumeric
- 1 ½ tablespoons organic flour (rice flour works well)
- ¾ cup tomatoes, pureed
- 1 Granny Smith green apple, cored and chopped (1/2 inch cubes)
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth
- ¼ cup mansoor dal (dry split red lentils) (tinned lentils work too)
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (one large tin)
- 1/2 cup pre-cooked brown rice (follow package instructions)
- 1 pinch dried thyme (or fresh if you have it)
- sea salt to taste/ground black pepper to taste
- Handful chopped organic spinach (add more if you love spinach as I do)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (light or heavy, your call)
- 1 ½ teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Garnish with organic yogurt and chopped cilantro
- Heat coconut oil, saute onions, celery, carrots in a large soup pot until onions are soft and translucent. Add garlic and ginger and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add spices and heat slightly, then add the flour stir until lightly browned.
- Add the tomatoes and apple and mix well, heat lightly. Then add the broth and stir well until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Next add the lentils, chickpeas and brown rice. Heat through and allow to simmer for 5 Minutes.
- Add thyme, sea salt and pepper. Stir and taste. Once all ingredients are heated through, add the spinach, allow to wilt in the soup.
- Turn heat off and add the coconut milk, stir well. Add the lemon juice and taste again. Season with more salt or pepper to taste.
- Finally serve the soup warm and garnish with yogurt, cilantro and love.
Recipe by Jackie DeKnock of Gourmet Safari